RM Auctions: Sports and Racing Rarities Lead Early Highlights For RM’s Two-Day Arizona Sale
· RM Auctions returns to the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa in Phoenix from January 16–17 to kick off its 2014 collector car season
· Expanded to two days in 2014, the well-established sale will celebrate its 15th year by lifting the gavel on approximately 120 handpicked motor cars
· Early highlights span the spectrum of the market, led by a superb trio of sports and racing Porsches
· Annual sale kicks off RM’s 2014 international auction calendar, which includes the company’s highly anticipated inaugural Paris sale, along with returns to Amelia Island, Florida, and Monaco
· Frequently updated list of entries available online at www.rmauctions.com
BLENHEIM, Ontario – RM Auctions, the world’s largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, is delighted to announce a spectacular roster of early entries for its highly anticipated annual Arizona sale, January 16–17 at the beautiful Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa in Phoenix. With a 15-year reputation for offering the world’s finest automobiles to a discerning international clientele, RM’s 2014 Arizona sale will now span two days, offering a handpicked selection of approximately 120 blue-chip motor cars.
“After what has been a record-setting and ground-breaking 2013 for RM, we’re already looking forward to continuing the momentum in the new year,” says Ian Kelleher, Car Specialist, RM Auctions. “The Arizona auctions have a history of providing a strong barometer for the season ahead, and RM’s 2014 Arizona sale is set to present a premier selection of cars as diverse and important as ever.”
Headlining early entries for the Arizona sale are a trio of rare sports and racing Porsches, led by an ex-Bob Donner and Don Wester 1960 Porsche 718 RS 61 Spyder, chassis 718.066. Boasting extensive racing history from 1961 to 1964, including numerous podium finishes at SCCA and USRRC events, 718.066 has been beautifully restored to original specifications and is presented in fantastic condition. Offered for the first time in nearly 20 years, this RS 61 Spyder is expected to fetch between $2,800,000 and $3,200,000 when it crosses the podium in January. The RS 61 is joined by another fantastic race car from the German marque, a 1966 Porsche 906 Carrera 6, chassis 906-116. In addition to a notable European track record, including 1st place finishes at both the 1968 Norisring and the 1969 Hockenheim Finale, 906-116 is one of only three known street legal examples. This 906, presented with known ownership from new, has been well-restored and is ready for the track (Estimate: $1,200,000–1,600,000). The superb group of Porsches is completed by an ultra-rare 1957 Porsche 356 A Carrera 1500 GS Speedster, chassis 83087, which has been freshly restored by marque specialists and features a race-derived four-cam GS motor (Estimate: $1,100,000–$1,500,000).
Shelby Myers, Managing Director, RM Auctions – California, adds, “The GT and sports racing cars in our Arizona auction really represent what makes this hobby so wonderful. Whether you’re at the corkscrew at Laguna Seca or thundering past an old friend on a twisty mountain road on the Colorado Grand, these are history’s great motor cars that really get the adrenaline pumping!”
Additional important sports and racing highlights slated to cross the podium at RM’s Arizona Biltmore sale include:
· a 1961 Chaparral 1 Sports Racing Car, chassis 003, one of the two Jim Hall team cars built by Troutman & Barnes for the 1961–1963 seasons, and campaigned by Hall and his partner Hap Sharp in the golden age of front-engine sports racers. Following improvements made by the current owner, 003 has also seen podium finishes in several recent vintage racing events (Estimate available upon request);
· a matching-numbers, Ferrari Classiche certified 1964 Ferrari 250 GT/L ‘Lusso’, chassis 5215 GT, which boasts a meticulous and well-documented restoration and has known history from new (Estimate: $1,700,000–$2,000,000);
· a striking 1958 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster, chassis 198.042.8500244, finished in its original color combination of DB334 Light Blue over red leather, one of only six produced in this shade from the factory. This U.S.-specification model has been upgraded with European specification headlamps and includes its original tool roll, books, and Mercedes-Benz build sheet (Estimate: $800,000–$1,000,000);
· a 1966 Ferrari 275 GTS, chassis 08353, finished in the incredibly rare hue of Grigio Fumo. Chassis 08353 was the fifth from last example of only 200 produced, and was originally delivered through legendary Ferrari importer Luigi Chinetti Motors. Showing less than 12,000 original miles, this 275 GTS is presented for sale following a fresh restoration by marque specialists (Estimate: $1,200,000–$1,600,000);
· a 1960 OSCA 850 S, chassis 769, which has an excellent, period racing history. Chassis 769 frequently competed in SCCA events from 1960 to 1965, with numerous podium finishes, including wins at Limerock and Marlboro, along with class wins at both the 1960 and 1962 12 Hours of Sebring. It has been well-maintained and is ready to return to the track (Estimate: $600,000–$800,000).
RM’s annual Arizona sale begins what promises to be an outstanding 2014 calendar of events for the company, including a highly anticipated debut sale in Paris on February 5, during the world-famous Retromobile week. Additional upcoming 2014 events include RM’s renowned Amelia Island, Florida, sale, scheduled for March 8, in conjunction with the prestigious Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, along with stunning cars and breathtaking views at RM’s third biennial Monaco auction, on May 10.
Full event details, including a frequently updated list of consignments, are available online at www.rmauctions.com or by calling toll free at 1 800 211 4371 (+1 519 352 4575 outside North America).
For those unable to attend the event in person, RM offers a broad range of remote bidding options, including Internet, absentee, and telephone bidding, and the auction will stream live online at www.rmauctions.com to provide real-time coverage of the sale.
About RM Auctions
RM Auctions is the world’s largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles. With over three decades of experience in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from restoration to private treaty sales, auctions, estate planning, and financial services, coupled with an expert team of international car specialists at seven offices around the world, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM proudly holds five of the top ten all-time records for the most expensive motor cars sold at auction. RM’s restoration division has achieved unprecedented accolades, earning Best of Show honors at the world’s top concours events, including the prestigious Amelia Island and Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. For further information, visit rmauctions.com, find us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter @rmauctions.
1957 Porsche 356 A Carrera 1500 GS Speedster (Photo Credit Pawel Litwinski © 2013 Courtesy of RM Auctions).
+1 519 437 3061
+1 519 437 3053
Source: RM Auctions