Photos: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE
The road-racing-inspired Chevrolet Camaro 1LE performance package returns for 2013 with unique gearing, suspension tuning and tires that make the model capable of more than 1 g of lateral acceleration and a sub-three minute lap time at Virginia International Raceway’s Grand Course. It is offered on Camaro SS coupes with manual transmissions.
The 1LE package is offered on 1SS and 2SS coupe models with an exclusive Tremec TR6060-MM6 six-speed manual transmission. Paired with a numerically higher 3.91 final-drive ratio, the close-ratio gearing of the transmission is tuned for road-racing performance. As with the ZL1, the 1LE transmission features a standard air-to-liquid cooling system for track use.
The Chevrolet Camaro 1LE also features exclusive, monotube rear dampers instead of the twin-tube dampers on SS models. The new hardware allowed engineers to tune the 1LE suspension to focus on optimal body-motion control while preserving much of the ride quality and wheel-motion control of the Camaro SS.
Other changes to optimize the 1LE for track-day use include:
– Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control
– Higher-capacity rear-axle half shafts to cope with increased levels of traction
– Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response
– ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 10-inch aluminum wheels
– 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires for ZL1)
– ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance
– ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during high-load cornering.
Visually, the 1LE package is distinguished by its matte black hood, front splitter and rear spoiler – as well as the 10-spoke ZL1-based wheels, which are finished in black. The functional front splitter and rear spoiler contribute to the car’s on-track performance by helping to reduce aerodynamic lift at high speeds.
Inside, the Chevrolet Camaro 1LE package incorporates the ZL1’s flat-bottom steering wheel, trimmed in sueded-microfiber and designed for easier heel-and-toe driving on the racetrack. The quick-acting, short-throw shifter from the ZL1 is also trimmed in sueded-microfiber.
In anticipation of consumers entering the 1LE in amateur-racing events, Chevrolet is pursuing SCCA approval of the 1LE package for Touring Class competition.
The first Chevrolet Camaro 1LE package was introduced in 1988, inspired by Camaro’s involvement in Pro-Am road racing.