NASCAR Star Tony Stewart and the Office Depot Foundation Team Up To Donate 5,000 Sackpacks To Indianapolis Area Kids
Indiana native Tony Stewart, a two-time NASCAR® Sprint Cup Series™ champion and driver of the No. 14 Office Depot/Mobil1 Chevrolet, will headline a special “Back-To-School Celebration” event at the local Office Depot store in Carmel, Indiana. Stewart is partnering with The Office Depot Foundation to help Indianapolis-area kids get ready for the new school year with the essential tools they need to succeed in the classroom.
Other special guests include:
• State Senator Mike Delph
• Christine Marson, Interim Director, Office of Education Innovation, representing Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard
• City of Carmel Commissioner Rick Sharp
Organizations scheduled to receive donations include:
• Child Advocates
• Coalition for Homelessness Intervention and Prevention
• Happy Hollow Children’s Camp
• Indianapolis Public Schools
• Indianapolis Urban League
• Robey Elementary School
• Samaritan’s Feet International
• Teachers’ Treasures/Kids In Need Foundation
• The Tony Stewart Foundation
Stewart, who grew up in Columbus, Indiana, is partnering with Office Depot and the Office Depot Foundation for this special “Back-To-School Celebration” and will be donating new sackpacks in five colorful designs that contain essential school supplies to Indianapolis-area children in need.
At the event, Stewart will assist the Foundation in donating 5,000 sackpacks to representatives from local schools and non-profit organizations as part of the Office Depot Foundation’s National Backpack Program.
The Foundation donates sackpacks across the United States and internationally in an effort to help kids succeed in school. By the end of this year, Office Depot and the Office Depot Foundation will have helped more than 2.5 million children in need since the program began in 2001. Stewart will assist the Foundation in donating 350,000 sackpacks nationwide in 2011, which is the most given out in a single year.
Note to media:
These sackpacks are not available to the general public. The sackpacks are being donated only to designated non-profit organizations.
12417 N. Meridian Street (Hamilton Crossing)
Carmel, IN 46032
Thursday, July 28, 2011
• Presentation of donations: 3:30 – 4:15 p.m. local time (not open to general public)
• Autograph session w/Tony Stewart: 4:45-5:45 p.m. local time (open to general public – see details below)
Stewart will sign autographs for 300 fans at the event. Wristbands are required for the autograph session and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis at the 12417 N. Meridian Street Office Depot store beginning at 8 a.m. local time on the day of the event only (Thursday, July 28). Fans with a wristband must be in line no later than 5 p.m. local time to receive an autograph. One autograph per wristband.
– Stewart presenting sackpacks to local children and community organizations
– The No. 14 Office Depot/Mobil 1 show car with special “Back-to-School” paint scheme
– Stewart signing autographs for fans
Source: Courtesy of MATTER, Edelman Sports & Entertainment Marketing