Mecum Auctions: Mecum Delivers Diversity on the Monterey Peninsula
Large Variety of Collector Cars, Motorcycles Sold at 2011 Monterey Auction
Marengo, IL - Thousands flocked from around the world to the Del Monte Golf Course to participate in the third annual Mecum Monterey Auction, Aug. 18-20, 2011.
More than 700 vehicles crossed the auction block at Mecum Monterey, which had a 65% sell-through rate. Combined with off-the-block sales, known as Mecum’s The Bid Goes On, total gross sales (excluding buyer’s premium) are approaching $25 million. The event’s top seller was a 1931 Miller Bowes Seal Fast Special that sold for a hammer price of $2 million and is said to be the only winning two-place Indy car ever sold at public auction. To watch the Indy winner sell, visit http://youtu.be/FpKSTg0XV5w.
“We are very pleased with the impressive, year-after-year growth of our Monterey Auction in just our third year on the peninsula,” said President Dana Mecum. “The convenience and comfort of our spacious auction venue combined with the diversity of vehicles offered created an ideal climate for collectors. Our top 10 sales – an incredible mix of classics, European sports cars, race cars and muscle – clearly illustrates what Mecum is all about. From a $2,000 scooter to a $2 million Indy winner, there was truly something for everyone.”
Mecum kicked off the three-day auction with a variety of high-quality motorcycles, including a Yamaha YZF-R1 presented by guest auctioneer and noted auto enthusiast Jay Leno. The bike raised $87,000 for the Bailey’s Café School of the Arts in the Bronx. Mecum also offered antique and wooden boats, selling, among others, a 1938 19-foot Chris-Craft Race Boat (Lot F162) for $80,000, after winning Best of Show at Lake Tahoe just the week before.
Mecum’s Monterey Top 10 Sales (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 1931 Miller Bowes Seal Fast Special Indy 500 Winner (Lot S147.1) at $2,000,000
2. 1912 Mercer Raceabout (Lot S148) at $625,000
3. 1961 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster (Lot S85) at $585,000
4. 1937 Bugatti Type 57 Ventoux Coupe (Lot S146) at $350,000
5. 2005 Porsche Carrera GT (Lot S157) at $335,000
6. 1980 McLaren M29 F1 Grand Prix Race Car (Lot S171) at $325,000
7. 1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder (Lot S162) at $300,000
8. 1947 Ford Sportsman Woody Convertible (Lot S115) at $285,000
9. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S141) at $280,000
10. 1974 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS (Lot S88) at $270,000
Complete Monterey Auction results are available to Mecum InfoNet members, which is free to join at Mecum.com. Mecum InfoNet members can log in to see car-by-car results by visiting the Results Page.
Tune in to Discovery Communications’ HD Theater every Saturday night for episodes of “Mecum Auto Auction: Muscle Cars & More.” For more information, visit www.Mecum.com or call 815.568.8888.
Source: Mecum Auctions