Iconic Mercedes-Benz 300SL ‘Gullwing’ to be Featured at Auctions America’s Fort Lauderdale Sale
· Striking 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL ‘Gullwing’ headlines Auctions America’s Fort Lauderdale Collector Car Auction, March 22 – 24
· Regarded as South Florida’s premier collector car auction, multi-day sale expected to feature more than 550 quality collector cars
· Additional highlights include: a 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 Factory Lightweight, a 1932 Lincoln Dual-Cowl Phaeton, a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Fuel-Injected Roadster, a 1954 Kaiser-Darrin Roadster, a 1953 Buick Skylark Convertible and a 2012 Lexus LFA
· Frequently updated list of entries available online at auctionsamerica.com
AUBURN, Indiana – Auctions America is delighted to announce the consignment of an iconic 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL ‘Gullwing’ to its upcoming Fort Lauderdale Collector Car Auction, March 22 – 24, in Florida.
Few sports cars in the history of automobile manufacturing have attained the iconic status of the celebrated Mercedes-Benz 300SL Coupe, which combines an unrivaled racing lineage with a truly innovative design. The celebrated sports car is best identified by its highly desirable roof-hinged doors, which were necessitated by its high waist chassis, giving the model its eventual nickname, the ‘Gullwing’. In its heyday, the list of 300SL owners read like a “Who’s Who” of society, glamor and style – including Frank Lloyd Wright, Sophia Loren, Pablo Picasso, Zsa Zsa Gabor and Clark Gable.
One of only 1,400 produced, the striking example on offer at Auctions America’s upcoming Fort Lauderdale sale is considered among the ‘best of the best’. Richly finished in the rare color combination of DB320 Blue with a factory red leather interior, it was the recipient of a recent professional concours-quality restoration. It is offered for sale with chrome Rudge knock-off wheels, custom fitted luggage, radio and belly-pans.
“The Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing is without question, one of the hottest collectibles on the market, and certainly one of the most sought after 50s European sports cars of all time,” says Donnie Gould, president, Auctions America. “We’re truly honored to have been entrusted with the sale of this example by its respected owner. It checks all the boxes when it comes to desirability – rarity, stunning presentation and a fantastic provenance. The quality of its restoration was most recently acknowledged at the Cavallino Classic Sports Sunday at Mar-a-Lago, Palm Beach last month where it was judged ‘Best in Class – German’.”
The exceptional ‘Gullwing’ will be in good company at Auctions America’s upcoming Fort Lauderdale sale, with more than 550 quality collector cars poised to cross the auction block during the multi-day auction. Additional highlights secured for the sale include:
· a rare 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 Factory Lightweight signed by legendary Ford racing drivers Dick Brannan and Phil Bonner and one of just 212 produced;
· a 1932 Lincoln Dual-Cowl Phaeton that won “Best in Show” at the 1998 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance following an exquisite restoration by the renowned Fran Roxas;
· a NCRS Top-Flight award-winning 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Fuel-Injected Roadster;
· an Antique Automobile Club of America National first prize winning 1954 Kaiser-Darrin Roadster;
· a freshly restored 1953 Buick Skylark Convertible; and,
· a stunning 2012 Lexus LFA just 400 miles from new and featuring a 4.8L V-10 engine producing 552hp with a top-speed of 202mph.
Regarded as South Florida’s premier collector car auction, Auctions America’s annual Fort Lauderdale sale returns to the Greater Fort Lauderdale / Broward County Convention Center, March 22 – 24. Full event details and a frequently updated list of auction offerings are available online at auctionsamerica.com or by calling toll free 877-906-2437 (or +1 260-927-9797 outside North America). For those unable to attend the event in person, Auctions America offers a broad range of remote bidding options including Internet, absentee and telephone bidding, and the auction will stream live online at auctionsamerica.com, providing real-time coverage of the event.
About Auctions America
Formed in July 2010, Auctions America specializes in the sale of American classics, European sports cars, Detroit muscle, hot rods, customs and collectible motorcycles. Headquartered at the historic Auburn Auction Park in Indiana, Auctions America boasts an expert team of full-time vehicle specialists, who offer over 140 years of combined experience buying, selling, racing and restoring collector vehicles, making them uniquely qualified to advise on all aspects of the hobby. To learn more about Auctions America, visit www.auctionsamerica.com, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @auctionsamerica.
1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL ‘Gullwing’ (Photo Credit Darin Schnabel © 2012 Courtesy Auctions America
Amy Christie – email@example.com or 519-437-3047
Meghan McGrail – firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-437-3061
Jennifer Pullen Groff – email@example.com or 713-855-9312
Source: Auctions America