Ford Mustang Facebook Fans Choose ‘Mayhem’ as New Name for V6 Performance Package
• The Ford Mustang V6 Performance Package has been given a new name – “Mayhem Mustang Package” – thanks to a Facebook contest that asked for the help of nearly 1.4 million Mustang fans
• More than 3,000 submissions were made to the Facebook page and nearly 6,700 users installed the “You Name It” app. The winner, from North Carolina, receives a three-year lease on a 2012 Mustang with the Mayhem Mustang Package
• Mayhem Mustang Package combines lightweight 305-horsepower all-aluminum V6, a 3.31 performance rear axle and Mustang GT-based suspension and braking components. Unique 19-inch wheels and Pirelli performance tires provide superb grip and aggressive appearance
Dearborn, Mich. – The Ford Mustang V6 Performance Package delivers on “fun, fast and affordable,” and now it has an all-new name to go along with that. After Ford reached out to the nearly 1.4 million fans on the Mustang Facebook page, “Mayhem Mustang Package” has been chosen as the new name.
“We saw great enthusiasm from fans, with tons of creative, unique names coming in,” said Brian McClary, Ford social and emerging media specialist. “The contest was twofold – it let us engage with fans by letting them have a say, and it helped build awareness for the package.”
More than 3,000 submissions were made to the Mustang Facebook page and nearly 6,700 users installed the “You Name It” app that let them participate in the contest. The winning submission came from a fan in Charlotte, N.C., who has won a three-year lease on a 2012 Mustang equipped with the Mayhem Mustang Package.
Facebook fans were asked to suggest a name on the Facebook page and reach out to their friends in the social media world to help propel their choice into the top five names. A gallery on the page let visitors see all of the choices that could be voted on. After the five most-voted names were selected, Ford chose the name that best shows off the personality of the package.
Each finalist was run through trademark, copyright and brand approvals. The Mayhem Mustang Package will be used as the name on all Mustang sales, marketing and communications materials.
The Mayhem Mustang Package takes advantage of Mustang’s 305-horsepower all-aluminum Ti-VCT V6 engine’s lightweight and high-revving nature to deliver a nimble performance car equally at home on a road course or road trip.
Borrowing from Mustang GT, the Mayhem Mustang Package includes numerous suspension, braking and body stiffening upgrades to deliver unparalleled handling performance. That road-holding is helped by a near-equal front/rear weight distribution, providing exceptional transient response along with the car’s slimmed-down curb weight of less than 3,500 pounds.
The 2012 Ford Mayhem Mustang Package includes:
• 3.31 rear axle ratio for quicker off-the-line acceleration
• Mustang GT coupe front and rear stabilizer bars
• Mustang GT front struts and rear shocks/springs
• Shelby GT500 rear lower control arm
• Unique 19-inch wheels
• Pirelli performance tires for improved grip
• Mustang GT front and rear brake calipers with Performance Friction pads
• Strut tower brace for increased body rigidity
• Unique electronic stability control calibration with sport mode for performance driving
• Unique badging
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 166,000 employees and about 70 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.