Chevrolet Vehicles Deliver Scene-Stealing Performances
Corvette and Camaro have been Hollywood favorites for decades
DETROIT – Chevrolet’s performance cars, Corvette and Camaro, play a leading role with consumers on the road and on the silver screen. Like Hollywood’s most versatile character actors, the Corvette and Camaro have delivered scene-stealing performances in memorable films, including:
- A customized 1964 Corvette plays a prominent role in the 1964 box-office hit, Viva Las Vegas, starring Elvis Presley and Ann Margaret, about Lucky Jackson and his efforts to race in the city’s first Grand Prix. It is considered one of Presley’s finest performances and was the debut of a chart-topping hit of the same name.
- A red Corvette Stingray stars alongside Academy Award Winner Jeff Bridges in the 1973 bio-picLast American Hero, which chronicles the rise of Junior Jackson from nothing to the highest level in stock car racing.
- The smooth-talking Eric “Otter” Stratton played by Tim Matheson in the 1978 cult classic National Lampoon’s Animal House drives a 1959 Corvette.
- Dolly Parton is seen in a 1968 Camaro in the 1982 film The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, which also starred Burt Reynolds.
- Sean Penn, as the character Jeff Spicoli, famously wrecked a 1968 Camaro Z28 in the 1982 filmFast Times at Ridgemont High.
- In the 1987 film Less Than Zero starring Robert Downey Jr., Jamie Gertz and Andrew McCarthy showcases a 1959 Corvette Convertible.
- A 1978 Camaro appears in the 1993 film version of the famous Saturday Night Live skit Coneheadsstarring Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin.
- In the 2002 Adam Sandler movie Mr. Deeds, the lead character rewards each of the citizens of his hometown for their continued friendship with shiny new red 2002 Corvette Convertibles.
- Animated versions of the Corvette have been cast as characters in both Disney-Pixar animated films Toy Story 3 (2010) and Cars 2 (2011).
- Both the Camaro as Bumblebee and the Corvette Stingray concept are heavily featured in the 2011 action thriller TRANSFORMERS:Dark of the Moon. Two Chevrolet Camaro TRANSFORMERS Special Edition vehicles were offered by Chevrolet that sold about 3,000 units, transferring the big screen appeal to the roadway.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world’s largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com