The Most Expensive Road Car Ever Sold at Auction: 275 GTB/4 S N.A.R.T. Spider Smashes Multiple Records Selling for $27.5 Million at RM’s Saturday Sale in Monterey
· RM’s Saturday sale session was topped by a 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4*S N.A.R.T Spider which sold for an incredible $27,500,000 making it the most valuable Ferrari and most expensive road-going car of any kind ever sold at auction as well as the second most expensive car to ever be sold at auction, with all proceeds being donated to charitable causes
· Additionally, the stunning 1928 Mercedes-Benz 680S Torpedo Roadster sold for $8,250,000
· Overall, a record-breaking night of sales in Monterey with 16 cars selling for in excess of $1 million and numerous new world records established for individual marques and models
MONTEREY, California – RM Auctions, the world’s largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, continued its Monterey sale weekend with an incredible record-breaking Saturday auction which saw the star lot, an ultra-rare 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4*S N.A.R.T Spider, smash records and sell for an astounding $27,500,000. This incredible price makes the car the second most expensive car ever to be sold at public auction and comfortably the most expensive Ferrari ever sold at auction. Alongside the N.A.R.T Spider, eyes were also firmly fixed on the 2012 Pebble Beach Best of Show-winning 1928 Mercedes-Benz 680S Torpedo Roadster, which sold for $8,250,000.
The 275 GTB/4*S N.A.R.T Spider is one of the world’s rarest cars, with only 10 cars having been built in the 1960s, commissioned by Ferrari’s American importer, Luigi Chinetti. The particular car sold in Monterey this weekend is even rarer for the fact that it has been in the same family’s ownership since new. The price realized for the car establishes a new world record for a Ferrari sold at public auction and makes the car the second most valuable car to ever be sold at auction as well as the most valuable road-going car ever sold at auction. Furthermore, all proceeds from the sale will be donated to charitable causes close to the heart of the late owner, Mr. Eddie Smith Sr.
The 1928 Mercedes-Benz 680S Torpedo Saoutchik Roadster is an exquisite, multi-award-winning car which was judged Best of Show at the 2012 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. The car achieved a remarkable $8,250,000, as international bidders battled to secure what is widely considered to be one of the most desirable pre-war cars ever made.
The two star lots headed a remarkable sale which saw 15 cars sell for in excess of $1,000,000 each and numerous auction sale records established.
RM Monterey Million-Dollar-Plus Sales (Saturday)
1. 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4*S N.A.R.T Spider – $27,500,000
2. 1928 Mercedes-Benz 680S Torpedo Roadster – $8,250,000
3. 1954 Ferrari 500 Mondial Spider Series I – $3,520,000
4. 1974 McLaren M16C Indianapolis – $3,520,000
5. 1953 Maserati A6G/2000 Spyder – $2,530,000
6. 1935 Hispano-Suiza K6 Cabriolet -$2,255,000
7. 1960 Maserati Tipo 61 ‘Birdcage’ – $2,090,000
8. 1960 Aston Martin DB4GT- $2,060,000
9. 1995 Ferrari F50 – $1,677,500
10. 1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder – $1,650,000
11. 1996 Ferrari 33 SP Evoluzione – $1,375,000
12. 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing – $1,265,000
13. 1990 Ferrari F40 -$1,155,000
14. 1961 Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet Series II – $1,100,000
15. 1911 Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Silver Ghost Roadster – $1,017,500
The Saturday sale session concluded RM’s 2013 Monterey auction. In total, the two-day sale presented approximately 120 blue-chip automobiles as part of the most significant auction offering ever presented on the Monterey Peninsula. Full sale results will be posted online shortly at www.rmauctions.com.
(All figures are reported in U.S. dollars and include the 10 percent buyer’s premium)
Photo Credit: 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4*S N.A.R.T. Spider (Photo Credit Eugene Robertson © 2013 Courtesy of RM Auctions)
For further information, hi-res images, and interview opportunities, please contact
+1 818 825 4746
+1 818 703 3731
Source: RM Auctions
« Auctions America’s Auburn Fall Sale Features 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS Pro Mod to Benefit Darrell Gwynn Foundation | Home | Mecum Auctions: 1955 Porsche 550/1500 RS Spyder Leads All Sales At Mecum In Monterey »